Social Action/Volunteer at the Y
For a few hours each week, you can be a writer, an artist, a teacher, or just change your corner of the world.
Explore how volunteering at the Y can add new dimensions to your life.
New opportunities include:
Join the Spark Club
Ignite the spark within you and join other volunteers who offer their time to make the community a better place.
The Spark Club will tackle issues to help better the Queens community. Check out our Facebook page and like us for upcoming events, meetings, and opportunities.
Click Here to fill out our volunteer application to help us connect you to the perfect opportunity!
Open Opportunities, Call to find the best placement for you!
While volunteering, gain an intimate perspective on our work in the community
and with different projects.
People with Special Needs:
· Have a passion for working with children of different populations? Volunteer your time to teach the children in our programs a craft, musical skill, game, cooking, or much more! Be creative with your own talents to help teach the youth in our community.
· Design and implement a community-based fundraiser- choose your cause, scholarship fund or project for cause and we will assist you with the fundraising.
· Run food drive, special event, coordinate programs ( experienced required)
· Volunteer with your agency
Volunteer Opportunities for Teenagers:
· Basketball Buddies/ Soccer Stars/Karate Kids - Volunteer to be a "Coach" to a specific Buddy during one of these amazing programs. Work in a one-on-one setting with a child with special needs to help them learn basic and introductory skills in basketball, soccer, and karate. This opportunity requires the volunteer to commit to an orientation as well as the ten sessions which the program will run for.
· Teen council
· Teen summer volunteer opportunities
· Junior council
Work with seniors:
· Alzheimer’s respite program and early stage program-assist in hands on activities with art projects, word games, music, and singing.
· Lead an enrichment, educational, exercise or discussion group for seniors
· Lead enrichment, educational, exercise or discussion group through our virtual senior center e.g. - painting, music, cooking, science, history, Yiddish.
· Medical advice to seniors- must be within the medical field e.g. Nurses, therapist ( occupational, physical, speech, psychotherapist), doctors ,nutritionist
· Sam’s café- serve food to senior at our senior lunch program
· Caring calls- friendly visiting and telephone reassurance to isolated seniors – click here for application
· Teach computers to seniors and/or set computer up for seniors in their home
Work with Children:
· Volunteer in preschool at sfy or bay terrace ( mornings only)
· Homework help for afterschool program
Work with women in domestic violence
· Cell phone drive- collect cell phones
· Create safety backpacks
Work with individuals who are unemployed:
· Conduct a workshop on assisting with finding employment
· Conduct workshop on creating own business
· Conduct workshop or series workshops that train individuals to change careers e.g. real estate, stock broker, makeup artist etc.
· Teach computers ( Microsoft programs, social media, graphics, QuickBooks, ebay)
· Volunteer to interview for mock interview
· Edit and correct resume
· Esl teacher ( especially asian languages)
· Be a career mentor
· Scoreboard keeper- assist with score board for men’s, women’s and teens basketball leagues