Social Action/Volunteer at the Y
For a few hours each week, you can be a writer, an artist, a teacher, or just change your corner of the world.
Explore how volunteering at the Y can add new dimensions to your life.
Click Here to fill out our volunteer application to help us connect you to the perfect opportunity!
Open Opportunities, Call to find the best placement for you!
While volunteering, gain an intimate perspective on our work in the community and with different projects.
Opportunities That We Offer:
People with Special Needs:
· Have a passion for working with children of different populations? Volunteer your time to teach the children in our programs a craft, musical skill, game, cooking, or much more! Be creative with your own talents to help teach the youth in our community.
· Design and implement a community-based fundraiser- choose your cause, scholarship fund or project for cause and we will assist you with the fundraising.
· Run food drive, special event, coordinate programs ( experienced required)
· Volunteer with your agency
Volunteer Opportunities for Teenagers:
· Basketball Buddies/ Soccer Stars/Karate Kids - Volunteer to be a "Coach" to a specific Buddy during one of these amazing programs. Work in a one-on-one setting with a child with special needs to help them learn basic and introductory skills in basketball, soccer, and karate. This opportunity requires the volunteer to commit to an orientation as well as the ten sessions which the program will run for.
· Teen council
· Teen summer volunteer opportunities
· Junior council
Work with seniors:
· Alzheimer’s respite program and early stage program-assist in hands on activities with art projects, word games, music, and singing.
· Lead an enrichment, educational, exercise or discussion group for seniors
· Lead enrichment, educational, exercise or discussion group through our virtual senior center e.g. - painting, music, cooking, science, history, Yiddish.
· Medical advice to seniors- must be within the medical field e.g. Nurses, therapist ( occupational, physical, speech, psychotherapist), doctors ,nutritionist
· Sam’s café- serve food to senior at our senior lunch program
· Caring calls- friendly visiting and telephone reassurance to isolated seniors
· Teach computers to seniors and/or set computer up for seniors in their home
Work with Children:
· Volunteer in preschool at sfy or bay terrace ( mornings only)
· Homework help for afterschool program
Work with women in domestic violence
· Cell phone drive- collect cell phones
· Create safety backpacks
Work with individuals who are unemployed:
· Conduct a workshop on assisting with finding employment
· Conduct workshop on creating own business
· Conduct workshop or series workshops that train individuals to change careers e.g. real estate, stock broker, makeup artist etc.
· Teach computers ( Microsoft programs, social media, graphics, QuickBooks, ebay)
· Volunteer to interview for mock interview
· Edit and correct resume
· Esl teacher ( especially asian languages)
· Be a career mentor
· · Scoreboard keeper- assist with score board for men’s, women’s and teens basketball leagues
Engage: Age With Purpose
UJA-Federation of New York's Engage Service Corps is for boomers and beyond who want to effect powerful change within the community through hands-on activities. This new model of volunteering is perfect for the generation of game changers looking to reshape society at every stage of their lives.
Through Engage, you can use your skills, expertise, passion and leadership to address issues such as poverty, hunger, joblessness, education, the isolated elderly, and children with special needs - in a way that fits into your life.
So become part of a community of like-minded people who want to find real solutions to real problems.
Are you passionate about volunteering? So are we.
Tap into what moves you most — poverty, aging, the environment, nearly any cause you can name, really — and we’ll help you move forward.
And with your help, we’ll reach our goal of one million hours of service.
Now’s the time.
Sign up on UJA’s new volunteer platform, Time for Good, New York’s go-to place for Jewish volunteerism. Your help is needed now more than ever.
Join thousands of Jewish New Yorkers as we gather to serve communities across New York, Long Island, and Westchester. We’ll be volunteering side by side on projects that address vital community needs.
Questions? Contact us at [email protected].
UJA-Federation’s Time for Good is sponsored by the Himan Brown Charitable Trust.
Free English Classes for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
We welcome adult English learners to come and practice conversation and basic reading and writing skills in a welcoming and friendly environment. Some knowledge of the English language is necessary. Classes will be conducted by an experienced volunteer teacher with over 17 years’ experience in the New York City School system.
If you are interested in participating, please call at 718-225-6750.