Engagement Specialist, High School and College Success
Martin Van Buren High School
High School and College Success
STATEMENT OF THE AGENCY
The Samuel Field Y is a non-profit, multi service agency with a flagship site in Forest Hills and 33 additional sites throughout the community that provides a diverse array of programs and services to over 35,000 people. Our mission is to sustain and enhance the quality of family and individual life for all members of our community, regardless of religion, ethnic or cultural background, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual preference, age, or disability, within a pervasive and inclusive environment that facilitates individual growth, meets individual needs and builds community. We accomplish this mission through a broad range of social, educational, and recreational services that reach community members of all ages and backgrounds.
STATEMENT OF THE POSITION
Within our framework of a holistic, strength-focused, and family-supported practice, an individual hired as Engagement Specialist will report directly to the Community School Director.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology, Mental Health Counseling, Social Work, or related course of study required. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Experience with attendance improvement and school engagement strategies for chronically absent youth.
- At least three (3) years’ experience working with adolescents in an urban environment providing services that reduce barriers and facilitate educational success and social emotional wellbeing.
- At least three (3) years’ experience conducting home visits and managing a caseload effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to establish strong rapport with an urban adolescent population and their families.
- Knowledge of community referrals and the ability to connect families with resources to help overcome barriers to success.
- Familiarity with NYS high school graduation requirements and experience with the college application and financial aid application processes.
- Provide individual and small group counseling to students on a weekly basis
- Conduct daily student attendance outreach and prepare reports for the program staff.
- Conduct home visits to disengaged students and those identified as chronically absent with the intention of increasing attendance and removing barriers to success.
- Provide outreach to students and their families, including phone calls, written correspondence, and home visits
- Facilitates communication between students, families, and school staff
- Timely completion of required documentation for clinical, evaluation and funding purposes
- Provides crisis counseling, conflict mediation and social-emotional support
- Support and facilitate chronic absent student exposure to program and school opportunities (high school and college); build college and work readiness skills
- Participate in staff meetings, case conferences and staff development opportunities.
- Organize and lead the program attendance team meetings, including meetings with school personnel to ensure a cohesive service delivery and successful partnership.
- Collaborate on interdisciplinary teams of SFY and school staff to create individual plans to support student progress around chronic absence.
- Occasional weekend hours and evening required.
General Tasks of Samuel Field Y Staff
- Promote and implement the Core Values of the Community Center.
- Participation in all staff meetings and staff training seminars.
- Participation in agency-wide programs and program committees, as assigned.
- Active involvement, as a supervisee, in the supervision process.
- Support the mission of the Samuel Field Y
- Other tasks appropriate to the Samuel Field Y staff, as assigned.
The Samuel Field Y reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
The Samuel Field Y is an equal opportunity employers/program. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter and résumé, as a Word or PDF document only, to SKawko@cqy.org. Please indicate “Engagement Specialist” in the subject line. Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.